Friday, December 2, 2011

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - "Orange" (1994)

   When I had it on tape, the actual cassette was a transparent orange and the cover of the album was metallic silver.  So raw, so sexual, so confident in the sound.  The two-guitar-and-drums instrumentation, the stage personas and bravado, the mythologically bluesy lyrics, this album broke me backwards in time to discover bands like Pussy Galore, Boss Hog and the original delta blues that inspired them, while paving the way for Beck and I would argue that whole Detroit White Stripes thing and the Eagles of Death Metal too.  When I saw them open for the Beastie Boys at the Summit (now Compaq Center) in Houston about 1995 with some band I had never heard of before called The Roots, there was maybe a 500 person rush to get on the floor.  People went crazy, because the blues is number one, the blues is number one.

No comments:

Post a Comment